Dreams are nothing but incoherent ideas, occasioned by partial or imperfect sleep. Dreams
| Benjamin Rush quote
It is now several months since I promised to give you my reasons for preferring the Bible as a schoolbook to all other compositions. Before I state my arguments, I shall assume the five following propositions:
1 . That Christianity is the only true and perfect religion; and that in proportion as mankind adopts its principles and obeys its precepts they will be wise and happy.
2. That a better knowledge of this religion is to be acquired by reading the Bible than in any other way.
3. That the Bible contains more knowledge necessary to man in his present state than any other book in the world.
4. That knowledge is most durable, and religious instruction most useful, when imparted in early life.
5. That the Bible, when not read in schools, is seldom read in any subsequent period of life.
- Benjamin Rush, Essays, pp. 93-113, 'A Defence of the Use of the Bible as a School Book'. Benjamin Rush quote